Built-in <span class="highlight">Bead</span> <span class="highlight">Breaker</span>

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 01, 2009 at 19:38
ThreadID: 71134 Views:2563 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Score another for airspring suspension in the back...

Had for a long time a bead breaker in the kit - one of those ones with two hooked feet that are pulled together via a long screw jack to lock into the rim, and another screw jack set 90º to push the bead off the rim. Tried it today on my Bruiser tyres - 285/75/16 - would not even look at it. I am not a small person but with all my strength I could not get any purchase on the rim to start the process (and yes I DID deflate the tyre first!).

So what to do? Read a thread somewhere where someone modified a bit of square steel to fit into the tow bar receiver, which had a cutout for a jack head, the base of which when operated broke the bead.

I like that idea and started thinking a bit more. I have airsprings in the back (full coil replacement, not inserts), height controlled by electro-air switches. I found myself a brick, put it under the tow bar and got the missus to lower the suspension.

And it worked!

So now to design something a little more scientific, mainly to protect the tyre and stop the brick bit from slipping (safety), something with a foot and top made from channel to lock it into the towbar...

Gotta ring me welder mate...

viz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ben_gv3 - Saturday, Aug 01, 2009 at 20:58

Saturday, Aug 01, 2009 at 20:58
I just use the jack to replace the brick in your example. Have to be a bit careful with foot placement onto the tyre but I've used this method successfully. I don't have air springs but used the jack mechanism instead.
AnswerID: 377145

Follow Up By: viz - Saturday, Aug 01, 2009 at 21:25

Saturday, Aug 01, 2009 at 21:25
Yeah - something I have seen before. My concern was to stop the jack from slipping. And something that was quick and ready to use. Not sure about what damage a misplaced jack base would do to the tyre as well.

I have some Oregon, I think 100x100 - I might shape a length to act as a foot and put a notch in the top or something to hold it in place...

Watch this space :) - I'm on a roll!

viz
FollowupID: 644518

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Aug 02, 2009 at 09:45

Sunday, Aug 02, 2009 at 09:45
Check out my post 70970, some pics of a jack beadbreaker, I just used a piece of 1 1/2" black steel waterpipe welded to a piece of 50 x50 x 3 mm wall rhs tube. Jacking down on the tyre is very controlled and smooth and doesnt leave damage marks on the tyre like the beadbreakers. I have used this method on my spare recently and the tyre had been on the rim for 4 years, too easy.!! The idea i originally saw on the LCool site put there by own own Phil G on this site.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 644567

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Aug 02, 2009 at 10:04

Sunday, Aug 02, 2009 at 10:04
Hi Viz

Glad you got it off .

Seen that both used sucessfully and unsucessfully.

Sometimes it pushes away from the rim and slips off.

I am sure with some thinking it could be made so that the force keeps it moving towards the rim.

I haven't yet not been able to get a tyre off with my Tyrepliers , but some have taken a bit off effort and stuffing around.

The real trick would be to help get the tyre fully off the rim.

In the meantime I make sure I break the bead on my tyres every so often just to be sure it isn't stuck when needed to be done.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 377220

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Sunday, Aug 02, 2009 at 18:36

Sunday, Aug 02, 2009 at 18:36
viz,
You're a bloody good aussie bush bloke as my mate Stan is want to say.

That's his ultimate accolade for someone who can fix anything with nothing.

Just a thought, it might pay to look at doing both sides of the tyre simultaneously. See below,

With a bit of tought you should be able to reduce the chance of the wheel moving or flipping over as the pressure is applied.

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 377286

Follow Up By: viz - Sunday, Aug 02, 2009 at 18:50

Sunday, Aug 02, 2009 at 18:50
Now ain't that a good idea!

Thanks for that :)

viz
FollowupID: 644614

Sponsored Links